These quick and easy hot chocolate spoons are the BEST! Not only are they adorable and the perfect holiday gift, but they make a knockout cup of hot cocoa!
There’s no such thing as too much hot chocolate in the winter. White hot chocolate and peppermint hot chocolate are both must-try recipes! And if you’re serving a crowd, try making this hot chocolate charcuterie board! It’s so fun and will have everyone raving.
Homemade Hot Chocolate Spoons
I first saw hot chocolate spoons this year while I was shopping for Christmas gifts. I knew I had to try making some at home, they’re so clever! It’s the perfect all-in-one. Rich chocolate to melt into a warm cup of milk, and a spoon to stir everything together! This is the perfect DIY to try this winter for all of you chocoholics out there. They’re so easy to put together and make a great treat or holiday gift!
I’ve included a few different types of hot chocolate spoons, but the beauty of these bad boys is that you can customize them however you’d like! (See more ideas in my tips section below!) It’s the perfect activity for the family. My kids love going to town with their hot chocolate spoons. If you make extras, they also double as the perfect holiday gift for your neighbors. Because let’s be real- who wouldn’t love a treat that makes the perfect cup of hot chocolate? Between this and hot chocolate bombs, it’s hard to make hot chocolate any other way!
What You’ll Need
This is what I used to make a few different variations of hot chocolate spoons. The great thing about these is that you can customize them in so many different ways! Check out my tips section below for more ideas, and recipe card for exact measurements.
- Baking Chocolate: For some variety, I used a semi-sweet chocolate bar, white chocolate chips, and then milk chocolate chips.
- Soft Caramels: For melting and drizzling on top! You can also use homemade caramel sauce.
- Crushed Candy Canes: For topping. Crushed peppermint candies work as well!
- Mini Marshmallows: You can coat your hot chocolate spoons in these as well as melt them to create a marshmallow drizzle.
- Sprinkles: (Optional) This is my kids’ favorite step! Add some on top for a little extra holiday flair.
Using High-Quality Chocolate
Using high-quality chocolate will make all the difference in how your hot chocolate spoons turn out. It will make your hot chocolate more rich, creamy, and indulgent. Ghirardelli 60% cacao is one of my favorites to work with, as well as Valrhona!
How to Make Hot Chocolate Spoons
With how easy these are to make, you will want them all winter long! Your family can join in on the fun and create their own customized hot chocolate spoons.
- Melt Chocolate: Place each kind of chocolate in their own microwave-safe dish. Microwave them in 20 second increments, stirring between each microwaving, until the chocolate is melted.
- Coat Spoon: Scoop the melted chocolate up in your spoon, and spin it around to coat the entire head of the spoon. You may want to dip it a couple times, letting the chocolate harden between each dipping to get enough chocolate on the spoon. Place the dipped spoons on parchment lined baking sheet to set. While the chocolate is still soft, sprinkle on your desired toppings.
- Allow to Set: Then allow the chocolate to completely cool and harden. Once the chocolate is completely set you can stir the spoon into some hot milk and enjoy!
Make For Gifts
These make great holiday gifts, just put them in a clear bag or cellophane, decorate however you’d like and spread some Christmas or New Year’s hot chocolate cheer!
Here are a few extra ways to customize your hot chocolate spoons. The options are endless!
- Add Peppermint: If peppermint hot chocolate is your jam, try adding a few drops of peppermint extract to your melted chocolate! Peppermint flavor can easily become overpowering, though, so always start with less and taste test until you reach your desired flavor.
- Use Butterscotch Chips: If you love sweet, caramel-y flavor, try melting some butterscotch chips to use for your hot chocolate spoons!
- Make Them Layered: If you want to mix and match different flavors or types of chocolate, you can make your hot chocolate spoons layered by waiting for one coating of chocolate to cool and harden and then adding another.
How Long Do Hot Chocolate Spoons Last?
As long as they’re stored in a cool, dry place, they should last for a week or two! I like to keep mine in an airtight container or bag to keep them fresh.
Can You Freeze Hot Chocolate Spoons?
You sure can! They’ll keep in an airtight freezer bag for about 2 months.
Place each kind of chocolate in their own microwave safe dish. Microwave them in 20 second increments, stirring between each microwaving, until the chocolate is melted.
Scoop the melted chocolate up in your spoon, and spin it around to coat the entire head of the spoon. You may want to dip it a couple times, letting the chocolate harden between each dipping to get enough chocolate on the spoon. Place the dipped spoons on parchment lined baking sheet to set. While the chocolate is still soft, sprinkle on your desired toppings.
Allow the chocolate to completely cool and harden. Once the chocolate is completely set you can stir the spoon into some hot milk and enjoy!
Calories174kcal (9%)Carbohydrates21g (7%)Protein2g (4%)Fat11g (17%)Saturated Fat6g (30%)Polyunsaturated Fat0.3gMonounsaturated Fat3gTrans Fat0.01gCholesterol3mg (1%)Sodium15mg (1%)Potassium76mg (2%)Fiber1g (4%)Sugar19g (21%)Vitamin A19IUVitamin C0.1mgCalcium28mg (3%)Iron1mg (6%)
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe and nutritional value will vary depending on the brands you use, measuring methods and portion sizes per household.